Sunday, May 8, 2016

Great Lakes Shipwrecks


We are now rolling into the second week of May in the “Mitten State” and as the water temperature rises on the Great Lakes, so do many scuba divers ambitions as they plan their summer dive locations.
The Great Lakes are world renowned for their shipwrecks as clear fresh water means well preserved wrecks that stand the test of time and nature. The Great Lakes truly never get "warm" which works in favor of shipwreck enthusiasts as some of the earliest documented wrecks are in great shape!

Great Lakes diving is a topic close to my heart and has been a consistent growing interest for many years now. I myself am not a diver, but it is one of my life goals which I am to complete this summer. I am looking forward to experiencing and sharing stories of my own, but in the meanwhile there are many exciting stories of mystery and adventure recorded by Great Lakes divers which are worth looking into.


Growing up I spent my summers on Lake Huron with  a cheap diving mask and a snorkel diving for golf balls hit in by a neighbor whoe was practicing his swing. My interests only escalated from there as my dad and older brother earned their diver's certificates and would return home with pictures of the ships they visited, namely the Eliza H. Strong.
It was then I started reading the Great Lakes Diving Guide by Kris Kohl which really gave me some great insight on some of the most interesting wrecks near me. Below I've borrowed a list from escapehere.com of some of the top Great Lakes shipwrecks worth visiting based on your level of diving abilities:

9. Charles S. Price (1913): Lake Huron
8. H.M.S St. Lawrence (1832): Lake Ontario
7. Miztec and Miron (1919 & 1921): Lake Superior
6. Lady Elgin (1860): Lake Michigan
5. S.S Regina (1986): Lake Huron
4. C.B Lockwood (1902): Lake Erie
3. Mary B. Alice (1975): Lake Huron
2. John B. Cowle (1909): Lake Superior
1. Edmund Fitzgerald (1975):Lake Superior












Out of this list my all time favorite is the Edmund Fitzgerald which substantial amounts of information, pictures, video, and even a museum at White Fish Point, MI is dedicated to this wreck. 

Again, this is an exciting topic for me and it is my goal to share my insight on the topic with you so that you might in turn develop an interest in Great Lakes Diving and its shipwrecks as I have. Be sure to share any stories or pictures you have with us by commenting below or emailing us at explorethemit@gmail.com. Explore on friends! 

Photo Credit: http://www.scubadiving.com/, http://bit.ly/1q7OFyK, ,http://bit.ly/1q7OKSX

3 comments:

  1. I'd really like to get a scuba certification so I can explore these things first hand! Such amazing history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here! I plan to get mine this summer. It is a bucket list must for me.:)

    ReplyDelete